Tenant’s Insurance

Posted on:  

A common myth in insurance is that renters do not need coverage. While it is true that a landlords policy will cover the building and any major appliances it will not cover the property of the tenant. Tenant’s insurance will provide the coverage for your personal property if you are a renter.

A common questions received is how much contents coverage does a renter need? This can vary greatly from person to person. It can be helpful to make a personal inventory of your property. It might seem unimportant but it can help greatly if you ever find yourself making an insurance claim after a break in, fire, or flood.


Whether digital or pen and paper, a currently list of your property means you won’t have to try and remember everything you have during an emergency. It will also help you insurer determine the value of your things so you can replace them as quickly as possible.

One option is to use an inventory app such as  Sortly. This way you can quickly and easily keep track of things that you own with pictures on a smart phone or tablet. Be sure to add notes of details such as serial numbers, makes, models and values.

If pen and paper is more your style you can create  a home inventory table using you preferred word processing or spreadsheet software. Be sure to keep track of the following:

  • Item
  • Description
  • Brand Name
  • Model Number
  • Purchased from
  • Price Paid
  • Whether or not you have a photo or Receipt on file

With an accurate list, you can work with your insurance broker to ensure you have the right amount of coverage for your personal belongings. Give Absolute Insurance Brokers a call today or email us if you would like help setting up a tenants policy or you would like to make sure you are properly insured.

Share this story...Share on FacebookShare on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterShare on LinkedInEmail this to someone