What Are The Top Three Endorsements For Your Car Insurance?

Posted on:  

What’s an endorsement?

An endorsement, also known as a rider or an OPFC (Ontario Policy Change Form) adds to the coverage provided by an existing car insurance policy. Let’s examine the three most popular endorsements, and make sure you ask your insurance professional which ones you already have (or read your policy, it’s all in there…)

OPCF 27: To drive cars you don’t own

Also known as the “Legal Liability for Damage to Non Owned Autos”, OPCF 27 provides you with collision and comprehensive coverage in the event damage caused to any rented and non-owned vehicle. If you’re renting a car to go to the States, you probably won’t need to buy the insurance they sell, though you should confirm this with your own insurance professional. This coverage is even more important when you do not have collision and comprehensive coverage on your own vehicle.

OPCF 20: Need a substitute vehicle?

Big crash, your car is a total loss. You want to have OPCF, also known as “Coverage for Transportation”. This endorsement pays for the rental of your substitute vehicle provided you have collision coverage (or if your vehicle is stolen, for theft). This being said, many mechanics will provide such a vehicle (and often at no extra cost) during the repairs. Still, better safe than sorry, no?

OPCF 43: A brand new car when the other one can’t be repaired

This endorsement removes the deduction for depreciation on your car. Sound complicated? It’s not actually, it just means your car will be replaced by one of the same value and make in case of theft or total loss. This coverage is usually offered for up to two years though certain insurers will offer even longer periods of coverage.


Contact Absolute Insurance Brokers to talk about various options you can customize your auto insurance.  Call toll free at 1-877-941-2266.

Share this story...Share on FacebookShare on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterShare on LinkedInEmail this to someone